I booted my Dell Laptop late Friday afternoon to check my mail one last time and to my surprise it shutdown shortly after booting up. Oh no I thought, that wasn't good. After numerous hours of testing, I concluded that either the display or motherboard was "dead." This is my computer with everything on it!
My laptop just happened to be the same model as that of a teacher's laptop that had come into the lab earlier in the week for repair. So, I decided to grab the laptop from school and see if I could use it to better diagnose my problem. Now, this was a laptop that had a virus on it. So, I took out the user's hard drive and put mine in the second laptop. Everything was still there. YES! I thought things were looking up. I transferred my important files to my network drive.
As I was transferring files, I noticed the BIOS and video BIOS were outdated. I figured I might as well update them. The first update went well, but the second one hung in the middle of the update. A process interrupted the update. All of a sudden I really got a sick feeling inside. I knew the second computer was dead and there was no way to fix it, short of getting a new motherboard.

I tried everything! I swapped LCD screens hoping that my laptop's motherboard was okay. I tried to use a USB floppy drive to rerun the BIOS update, but nothing seemed to work. Well, after what seemed like hundreds of attempts to fix the system and many hours on the phone with Dell, it was confirmed both laptops could only be used for parts. Blah!
No comments:
Post a Comment